Join the Mates in Mind team
Managing Director - closing date: 14 October
‘There is no health without mental health’ is the vision of Mates in Mind, our mental health charity. Since its launch with the help of the British Safety Council in September 2016, the charity has provided much-needed support and guidance to construction industry employers on how to improve their employee’s mental wellbeing. Working alongside mental health bodies across the UK, Mates in Mind is now growing fast, with plans to help more sectors beyond construction.
To accomplish our vision and drive our growth, we are now recruiting an enthusiastic Managing Director. This role will provide vital strategic guidance and direction to the Mates in Mind team, to ensure that both the annual operating plan and strategic objectives are met. Equally important is governing the organisation appropriately as a charity, supporting the Mates in Mind Board and Chair.
This new role will suit an existing Managing Director or experienced candidate with the drive and ability to develop Mates in Mind to reach more organisations to eradicate the stigma surrounding workplace mental health. It is a particularlty exciting time to join in a pivotal year. Applicants will need to demonstrate excellent strategic leadership, strong people management, collaborative partnership building skills and a genuine passion for mental health. The role will report directly to the British Safety Council (BSC) Group Chief Executive Officer and be part of the BSC Executive Team.
Strategy & Planning
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop, implement, monitor and review the Mates In Mind long- term strategy, associated risk identification and mitigation plans, to ensure all decisions are market led and evidence based.
- Drive the strategic development of the charity and the Mates in Mind programme
- Lead the production of an annual operating plan and budget ensuring all targets and financial requirements are met.
- With the BSC Strategic Engagement & Development Director, establish and maintain effective strategic alliances and positive relationships with key external stakeholders.
- Be responsible to the Mates In Mind Board for the performance of revenue generating and funding activities, consistent with agreed business plans and corporate strategies.
- Take overall leadership responsibility for Mates in Mind and be accountable to its Board for achieving or exceeding the annual operating plan.
- Develop an organisational structure, systems and processes to ensure the efficient use of resources and direct to day to day operations.
- Provide leadership to key internal forums including Mates in Mind Board meetings, and chair executive meetings as appropriate
- With the BSC Finance Director, ensure the long-term financial viability of Mates In Mind, using an effective control environment and providing all internal service requirements to meet the annual operating plan and reporting requirements.
The essential requirements for the role are:
- A strong understanding of Mental Health matters with a clear passion for the subject
- High levels of financial literacy
- Strong strategic thinker – creative and innovative
- Good problem-solving skills
- High impact presentation and public speaking skills
- Track record of delivery against business plans and targets
- Demonstrable Profit & Loss experience
- Significant senior-level experience of leading and managing people and resources
- An understanding of applying technology to drive revenues and reduce costs
- Experience of working in partnership to deliver significant mutual benefits
- An understanding of the third sector including fundraising activities
(For full job description, please click ‘Apply’)
25 days’ holidays
Health cash plan benefit from the first day of joining
Private medical and dental cover, season ticket loan
Bupa health screen
- And many more benefits
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Salary: Competitive Salary
Job Location: Hammersmith, Greater London