Communications & Marketing Manager
‘There is no health without mental health’ is the vision of Mates in Mind. Since Mates in Mind launched in 2016, the charity has provided much-needed support and guidance to construction industry employers on how to improve their employee’s mental wellbeing. Working alongside mental health bodies across the UK, Mates in Mind is now growing fast, with plans to help more sectors beyond construction.
We are now looking to recruit an enthusiastic Communications and Marketing Manager to support the development of communications, public affairs and marketing solutions aligned with the delivery of the Mates in Mind business strategy and plan as the charity grows to support the demand across industry. The role would suit an experienced candidate with a high degree of personal initiative and leadership, who can thrive within a busy and fast paced environment.
This new role will report directly to the Director of Strategy, with a dotted line report to the Engagement Director from British Safety Council Group. The role holder will line manage the Communications Officer.
Brief Description of Tasks
Overall objective: Develop and implement communications, public affairs and marketing strategies and plans for Mates in Mind, aligned with the business strategy and plan using both internal and external stakeholders and resources.
General responsibilities include:
- Manage the Mates in Mind Communications Officer, developing their skills in all relevant disciplines
- Support day-to-day contact with key customers, partners and Supporters working with the Mates in Mind General Manager and Head of Programme
- Manage the Mates in Mind communications and marketing budget
- Speak positively and enthusiastically about the organisation and its products and services to ensure that a professional organisation and brand image is provided at all times to customers, stakeholders and colleagues.
Marketing responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Mates in Mind Managing Director and Head of Programme as well as partners, critically, British Safety Council marketing and sales teams to develop marketing plans to deliver overall sales, revenue and growth targets for each part of the Mates in Mind business, including programme outreach and delivery, (individual/corporate) fundraising, and research
- Develop distinct propositions and creative positioning to support the growth objectives and the introduction of new products & services, including joint third-party propositions, in conjunction with the Mates in Mind Head of Programme
- Act as the key point of contact between Mates in Mind and British Safety Council related to the development of communications, engagement and marketing campaigns to meet the sales and growth objectives of both, ensuring alignment with overall brand values and positioning
- To assist with research into new markets that Mates in Mind might consider for generation of additional income into the business. Develop market penetration strategies accordingly
- Continually evolve and improve online operational performance of the Mates in Mind website including the design, usability, content, conversion points and analytics. Develop and execute solid plans to increase page views, unique visitors, dwell time and site ‘stickiness’ to encourage repeat usage, increased sales conversion and engagement with campaigning activities
- Manage tracking, measurement and reporting including the evaluation and analysis models to measure commercial and campaign results, aligned with industry best practice. Metrics to include efficiencies, ROI, campaign outcomes, press coverage and quality
- Enhance and build brand image with customers, supporters and influencers. Work with internal and external resources as appropriate to agree creative concepts and content that is ‘on-brand’ and achieves the objectives of the business plan, particularly in relation to social media and digital channels.
PR, media and event management responsibilities include:
- Lead development of a media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media, in support of the communications and engagement strategy
- To develop and maintain a strong network of relevant media contacts and journalists, ensuring contacts are kept up-to date in a central database, in conjunction with the Mates in Mind Director of Strategy and BSC Public Relations and Media Manager; as well as key partners including Mates in Mind Business Champions
- To manage a fast, accurate response to media enquiries including the co-ordination of reasonable out of hours response in co-ordination with Mates in Mind Director of Strategy
- Monitor national news agenda identifying and contributing content on relevant opportunities to maximise brand and positive PR (and playing down any negative PR)
- Work with British Safety Council Head of Campaigns and Engagement and the broader Group communications team, on public affairs campaign ideas that further the Mates in Mind brand and help it to deliver on its core belief.
Communications responsibilities include:
- Developing and leading the organisation’s internal communication strategy across the British Safety Council Group in the UK, ensuring internal customers and stakeholders are fully engaged, briefed and kept up to date on campaigns and communication priorities across
- Support the Mates in Mind team in the development of collateral content to support business development, partnership outreach, and ongoing supporter engagement, including for example the production of the annual impact report
- Manage third party communications support in the form of external designers, printers, production companies, writers and photographers. Negotiate best value for money delivery on all work undertaken. Enable clear communications that incorporates both technical and lay language for both B2B and B2C engagement.
Skills & Qualifications
- Degree level qualification in business administration, marketing or communications related subject
- Excellent project management and organisational skills with a strong attention to detail required
- Strong people management skills including the ability to mentor others
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with a proven track record of leadership that delivers business results
- Strong written, verbal communication and proof reading skills
- Excellent written communications and presentation skills
- Excellent branding knowledge
- Broad marketing communications knowledge
- Self-starter, able to work on own initiative with minimum guidance
- 25 days’ holidays
- Health cash plan benefit from the first day of joining
- Private medical and dental cover, season ticket loan
- And many more benefits
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Salary: Up to £35,000 per annum
Job Location: Hammersmith, Greater London