Let's talk mental health
We all have mental health just as we all have physical health, and both have their ups and downs. A minor health problem one day could be major the next. With mental health, stigma silences people who fear disclosure, hindering their access to support. Tragically sometimes help is too late.
Construction thrives on change and teamwork. So together we can build thriving mental health. We don’t need to be experts to talk about it, we simply need confidence to start the conversation. Everyone in construction can make a big difference:
Your company can:
- Treat health like safety – establish a model for health
- Promote positive mental health
- Be proactive about preventing stress
- Engage everyone to be part of the action on mental health
- Provide the right support
- Take steps to look after yourself
- Take care about the language you use
- Talk with someone if you have a mental health concern
Did you know?
- 1 in 6 of us has a mental health problem such as stress, anxiety or depression, yet 1 in 5 fears that disclosure could cost us our job
- There are no absolutes. One person with a diagnosed mental illness can be in good mental health; while another with no diagnosed illness or disorder can be in poor mental health.
- In construction more workers die by suicide than by falls. Support for Mates in Mind is critical.